Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Power of Respect by Deborah Norville, Book Review



The Power of Respect is a common sense approach on the impact of respect in the world. Norville relates her topic to the reader in point blank, everyday language, and applies it to every area of life: home, relationships, school, business, leadership, and self.


I found this book to be a quick read, yet it made an impact. It took me back to the values I was raised upon, to treat others as I would want to be treated. But more than that, it made me realize that there is an entire segment of the population that wasn't raised with those values, and that this book could be a real growth experience for them.


I really enjoyed the book layout, which includes quotes, lists and "respect reminders" in each chapter. My favorite chapter is the last of the seven: It's on the Inside, The Power of Self-Respect. I know firsthand the importance of respecting yourself first, only because I lived many years not doing so. The more we learn about who we really are, and learn to accept ourselves, the less others' perceptions of us matter.


Respect can be cultivated, it can be learned, and it can change your life.

No comments: