Wednesday, December 26, 2012

SELFLESS SURRENDER


“While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” Then, when they had fasted and prayed and laid their hands on them, they sent them away. Acts 13:2-3 
I’ll admit it. I’m selfish. I like my possessions. I want to be comfortable. I find security in my friendships. I don’t like change.  I seek stability in this life that isn’t promised nor guaranteed, but yet, I want it, crave it. And time and time again, I learn the hard way that there is only one thing that is rock-solid reliable, ALL the time. That is my God.
When I read these verses in Acts, as the Holy Spirit sets apart Barnabas and Saul, (later to become Paul) and calls them to a very special work, I ask myself, “Where are the verses about the people of Antioch going home to pout over losing their dear friends? Didn’t they argue with God? Question their call? Or plead Him not to take them from their congregation?”
As I ponder the commitment and intensity of these two men, I can only fathom the massive influence they must have had on the church at Antioch. Saul had experienced the transforming power of God, and was on fire! I imagine there was some reluctance brewing somewhere about losing them, as well as some pouting, arguing, questioning, and pleading. I mean, I’m guilty of those things when faced with uncomfortable changes, so why wouldn’t they?
Then I see their response, and am humbled. There was no tantrum, or even hesitation, only selfless surrender to the direction of the Holy Spirit. They fasted, prayed, laid their hands on them, and sent them out. They responded at once with integrity to this major change in their lives.
If I’m truly serious about making God number one in my life, I must be willing to give up my possessions, lifestyle, or even relationships to obey Him. I also want to support those I care about even if it means personal sacrifice. The selfless surrender of the people at Antioch allowed Paul to begin the journey that would lead him to become the greatest missionary of the early church. I never want to stand in the way of something like that. I will surrender, even when it hurts.

1.)  Think about the important people in your life, and the diverse way God has gifted each one of them. Have you ever been tempted to discourage them from obeying God because it would make your life uncomfortable?  Did you give in to that temptation?
2.)   God has a different plan and purpose for each of us. Do you find it difficult to support those with a calling radically different than your own? If so, how can you become more intentional in encouraging them, despite your difficulty?
3.)   Do you earnestly seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit regarding the lives of your friends, as the people of Antioch did for Barnabas and Saul?
4.)  How can you actively support the various ministries of your friends and family today? 

No comments: